After evaluating nearly 5,000 hospitals, U.S. News & World Report ranked the best 20 hospitals for 2018-19. In order to qualify, these hospitals had to also rank in one or more of the 16 specialties that U.S. News assesses and rate as high-performing in one or more of nine procedures and conditions.
U.S. News also created rankings for the best children’s hospitals, the best hospitals by specialty such as oncology and orthopedics, and the best hospitals by procedure, such as heart failure and hip replacement.
Visit U.S. News to read more about its ranking methodology.
U.S. News & World Report’s top 20 hospitals for 2018-2019
1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
5. University of Michigan Hospitals-Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor
6. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
7. UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
8. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
9. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Stanford, California
10. New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York
11. Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis (tie)
11. Mayo Clinic Phoenix (tie)
13. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
14. Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia
15. NYU Langone Hospitals, New York (tie)
15. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside, Pittsburgh (tie)
17. Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee
18. Mount Sinai Hospital, New York
19. Duke University Hospital, Durham, North Carolina
20. Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston