News in Brief

Interstate Medical Licensure Compact Commission starts taking license applications

Want to have multiple licenses in different states? See if you qualify.


The Interstate Medical Licensure Compact Commission is now accepting applications from qualified physicians who want to have multiple licenses in participating states.

Eighteen states have adopted the Compact, according to a statement from the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB). Eight additional states and Washington have introduced legislation in favor of a pathway for license portability.

“The launch of the Compact will empower interested and eligible physicians to deliver high-quality care across state lines to reach more patients in rural and underserved communities,” said Humayun Chaudhry, DO, president and CEO of the FSMB, in a statement. “This is a major win for patient safety and an achievement that will lessen the burden being felt nationwide as a result of our country’s physician shortage.”

Do you qualify for expedited licensure via the Compact? 

  • You must hold a full, unrestricted medical license in a Compact member state.
    AND at least one of the below must apply:
    a. Your primary residence is in the state of principal licensure (SPL)
    b. At least 25% of your practice of medicine occurs in the SPL
    c. Your employer is located in the SPL
    d. You use the SPL as your state of residence for U.S. federal income tax purposes
  • Have graduated from an accredited medical school, or a school listed in the International Medical Education Directory
  • Successful completion of ACGME- or AOA-accredited graduate medical education
  • Passed each component of the USMLE, COMLEX-USA, or equivalent in no more than three attempts
  • Hold a current specialty certification or time-unlimited certification by an ABMS or AOA board
  • Must not have any disciplinary actions toward your medical license
  • Must not have any criminal history
  • Must not have any controlled substance actions toward your license
  • Must not currently be under investigation

For further information and to apply for expedited licensure, visit the Commission’s website.


  1. Gerald Natzke DO

    I graduated 33 yrs ago from CCOM (now Midwestern university). I have no idea whether I passed these exams or how to find out. This was the guideline stated, “Passed each component of the USMLE, COMLEX-USA, or equivalent in no more than three attempts.”
    How might I find out?
    Thank you in advance!

Leave a comment Please see our comment policy