From the best medical schools to tips on matching into residency and trends in physician compensation, The DO covered a variety of relevant and popular topics throughout 2021. As we prepare to start a new year, we’re reflecting on the year that is winding down: Below are our top 10 most popular stories of the year.
1. The DO schools on U.S. News’ best med schools list for 2022
U.S. News & World Report released its annual report of the best med schools for primary care. Learn which osteopathic medical schools made the list.
2. DOs fight back: Profession responds to Hasan Minhaj’s Jimmy Fallon interview
Comments that broadly mischaracterized DOs prompted outrage among DOs and MDs alike. Editor’s note: News on Minhaj’s follow-up video released Dec. 11, where he clarified his comments about DOs, is available here.
3. Top 10 holiday gifts for doctors and med students in 2021
The DO searched the internet and found 10 great gift ideas, ranging from personalized doctor bobbleheads to a home foot spa and a thought-provoking memoir.
4. Top 16 most in-demand specialties and their salaries in 2021
Family medicine remains the specialty that is the most sought-after by physician recruiters, according to physician recruiting firm Merritt Hawkins.
5. How DO students/graduates matched to their top-choice residencies in 2021
Recently matched DO students/graduates share their insights on audition rotations, virtual interviews, letters of intent and more.
6. AOA statement on physician-led care, physician assistant title change and non-physician clinician use of the title ‘doctor’
Organization is deeply concerned by the potential harm to patient care and patient safety resulting from the erosion of physician-led, team-based care.
7. The best and worst states for doctors in 2021
Montana leads WalletHub’s new list, while Rhode Island comes in last. See where your state landed.
8. Concerning trends in primary care physician demand and compensation
Merritt Hawkins report shows skyrocketing demand for nurse practitioners while the demand for family physicians dropped.
9. What residents are getting paid in 2021
Annual Medscape report reveals which specialties get paid the most and least, and how residents feel about their earnings.
10. NRMP Match results in 6,597 new DO residents
Year-over-year, 359 more DO students and graduates matched in 2021.