Whether you attend a private institution or a state medical school, have undergraduate loans or are debt free, are a nontraditional student or traditional one, the cost is still the same. Expensive.
To help defray the costs of medical school, the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) Foundation offers 11 fall scholarships. All SOMA members who are actively enrolled in a college of osteopathic medicine are eligible to apply for all opportunities offered by SOMA Foundation.
The current fall 2019 scholarship cycle is now open. The deadline for applications is Sept. 20, 2019. Winners will be be announced in Baltimore at OMED on Oct. 26, 2019.
The fall scholarships include:
- The Dr. Robert S. Juhasz, DO, Innovative Leadership in Osteopathic Medicine Scholarship: Sponsored by AOA Past President Robert S. Juhasz, DO, this $1,000 scholarship recognizes a student who has taken steps to better the health care field with innovative and creative methods that not only benefit patients, but physicians as well.
- The Women in Medicine Scholarship: Sponsored by the National Association of Osteopathic Foundations, this $1,000 scholarship recognizes a student who represents the growing population of female physicians and who encourages the pursuit of leadership and equality in the workplace.
- The Community and Preventive Medicine Scholarship: Sponsored by the Osteopathic Founders Foundation, this $1,000 scholarship recognizes a student who has a passion for preventive medicine and working in community health.
- The Humanism in Medicine Scholarship: Sponsored by Thieme Publishers, this $1,000 scholarship recognizes a student who exemplifies what it means to be an osteopathic physician and who shows compassion, leadership and enthusiasm for medicine.
- Fall OMED Travel Grants: Sponsored by the SOMA Foundation, these two $500 grants are meant to alleviate financial stressors or restrictions which could prevent students from attending the SOMA Spring Convention.
- SOMA New Member Scholarships: Sponsored by the Advocates of the American Osteopathic Association, these five $500 scholarships recognize osteopathic students who have registered with National SOMA during the 2019-2020 academic year and who show potential leadership skills within the field of osteopathic medicine.
Apply for these grants and scholarships here.
In 1978, the SOMA Foundation was created as the philanthropic branch of the Student Osteopathic Medical Association. Its mission is to contribute to the welfare and education of osteopathic medical students by providing financial support and preparing student doctor members to meet the social, moral and ethical obligations of the osteopathic profession.
Today SOMA represents more than 15,000 osteopathic medical students and is the largest national organization dedicated to transforming motivated osteopathic medical students into dynamic health care leaders who advance patient centered care within the U.S. and abroad.
For the past 37 years, the SOMA Foundation has provided SOMA student members with many scholarships and grants as well as opportunities to participate in outreach projects and various research initiatives.
The SOMA Foundation has given awards to over 30 osteopathic students.